A Short History of the DuPont Country Club
DuPont Country Club is located on 525 acres in the beautiful Brandywine Valley in the state of Delaware. Although the DuPont Country Club was founded in 1920, the roots of a recreational club for DuPont employees can be traced back to the 1880’s. The Eleutherian Mills Mansion on the grounds of Hagley Museum was the location for the Rokeby Club. As members of the Rokeby Club, employees enjoyed sports and activities up to the turn of the century.
A few years later, across the Brandywine River at the DuPont Experimental Station, after-work employee activities included the DuPont Gun Club and the DuPont Athletic Association which focused mainly on baseball, with some interest in tennis. This diverse group of sports enthusiasts incorporated in May 1920 to form the DuPont Country Club.
The original club facilities consisted of a two story frame house (originally the gun club), a baseball diamond with grandstand and three tennis courts. By late 1922, a nine-hole golf course and eight tennis courts were constructed.
Guests at the club
The DuPont Country Club dress code has been formulated in a way that takes account of the varied social and sports activities available at the club and the type of clothing typically worn by members and guests participating in these activities, while imposing a reasonable standard of dress appropriate to a private country club environment.